***MORATORIUM IN EFFECT***
Sammamish Plateau Water has temporarily paused new sewer
connections for 90 days in key areas with limited sewer capacity.
Affected sewer basins include:
Northeast Plateau, Beaver Dam, Inglewood East, Tiburon, North Lake Sammamish, and Central Lake Sammamish (see map links to right).
Monday, March 29, 2021 at 6:00pm - For details, click here.
On Monday, February 22, 2021, Sammamish Plateau Water’s Board
of Commissioners approved Resolution #5018, declaring and imposing
a temporary 90-day moratorium on the issuance of Certificates of Sewer Availability and Provision of New Sewer Service where a Certificate of Sewer Availability may not be required.
This moratorium is separate from any others imposed by the City of Sammamish because Sammamish Plateau Water is an independent and separate entity - a Special Purpose District.
The moratorium will limit additional pressure on the District’s sewage conveyance system that has exceeded capacity, while allowing the District to consider potential solutions, both interim and long-term, during which time the District will continue to engage the County in an effort to address the District’s regional conveyance needs.
During this 90-day period, no new Certificates of Sewer Availability will be issued in the North Sewer Service Area for:
- Individual single-family residence building permits (new home, remodel) that have not previously paid a full Sewer General Facility Charge for the proposed level of service.
- New development proposals where there are not prepaid full Sewer General Facility Charges for the proposed level of service.
In addition, no new side sewer permits will be issued for:
- Existing houses that are not a sewer customer, and are requesting to transition from use of a septic system to sewer service. (Exception: Sewer service connections will be allowed for those properties that have a failing septic system as verified by the King County Health Department).
A public hearing is scheduled for March 29, 2021.
The Board of Commissioners of Sammamish Plateau Water is holding a Special Board Meeting on Monday, March 29, 2021, at 6:00pm. The purpose of the Special Meeting is to conduct a Public Hearing to receive public comments from the residents, businesses, and cities impacted by the sewer capacity issues and the 90-day moratorium enacted by the District. A public hearing notice will be published in the Seattle Times on March 15 and 22, 2021.
Update 3/19/2021: The Special Meeting will now include discussion and consideration of an engineering design contract to design the improvements necessary to address sewer capacity issues being experienced by the District in the Sammamish Plateau North Sewer Service Area.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic emergency and state guidelines, the public hearing will be held virtually using the Zoom platform. The Zoom meeting information is below, and also located on the Public Hearing meeting agenda (coming soon).
How to acces the virtual Public Hearing
Join from a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android device
Please click this URL to join. https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8822551398
Or join by phone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 253 215 8782 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 929 205 609
Webinar ID: 882 2551 398
International numbers available: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbMuSmxO4y.
Pursuant to the Governor’s emergency Proclamation 20-28, the District is unable to provide an in-person location for the public to participate in the virtual public hearing. Sammamish Plateau Water remains committed to open and transparent practices, therefore the public hearing will still accessible to the public for viewing and public commenting.
- Written comment: Written public comment will be accepted until 12:00pm noon on March 29, 2021 (the day of the Public Hearing). Submit your written comments by email to email@example.com. If emailing, please include “Public Hearing” and the hearing date in the subject field.
- Verbal comment: Up to three (3) minutes of verbal public comment may be provided per person live during the public hearing. Verbal comment will be handled by utilizing Zoom’s “raise hand” feature. Detailed Zoom instructions and guidelines.
How to contact the District.
For builders and property owners with questions about affected sewer basins and/or details of the moratorium, please email District staff at ConnectionInfo@spwater.org.
Media inquiries: Please call or email the District's Public Information Officer at 425-392-6256 PIO@spwater.org.
Board of Commissioners
The Sammamish Plateau Water Board of commissioners meets on the first, second, and third Mondays of the month at 3:30 p.m. For information on attending or providing comment for an upcoming Board meeting, click here.